Mollet Egg

Firm white with a slightly runny yolk.... Mmmm mmm. I'm sure this turns many people on as much as it turns me on. I've always loved a runny yolk since young; I hate it when my supposedly soft-boiled (aka half-boiled in local sense) egg in a kopitiam (i.e. local common eatery), turns up with a hard yolk. Can you imagine how crazy I went when I first had a mollet egg that usually accompany a bowl of Japanese Ramen?! I was like "Whoa! You can do that?!". The white is firm but the yolk is still partly runny and creamy! There and then, I was on a quest to find out how it was done.

The secret to this onomnom-licious egg was handed to me by my ex-colleague which was handed to her by another of her colleague, long story, don't matter. Haha.. As I read the secret manual, I was skeptical but was eager to try. When I finally tried, it worked amazingly!

But before I share this "secret" (actually not so secret, Google has everything =P), do know that there are few alternative methods in achieving mollet egg. And that it is different from the Perfect 62º Egg.
Mollet Egg
(This recipe works best for LARGE eggs, adjust timing accordingly for different sizes. E.g. the above is a medium egg using the below 4x4 timing, using 3x4 will result in a runnier yolk.)

1. Place COLD egg(s) in a pot (ideally not big enough for the egg(s) to move about too much) with 1cm of  slightly salted tap water. I know the water seems too little, but trust me, it works. Cover the pot and cook over HIGH heat.

2. Once the water boils, turn down to MEDIUM heat and continue cooking for 4 minutes.

3. When the 4 minutes is up, remove from heat but keep the egg(s) in the covered pot for 4 minutes. 

4. After the second set of 4 minutes, immerse the egg(s) in (preferably) ICE COLD or running water to halt the cooking process, makes the egg(s) easier to handle too. Peel carefully and viola!
Some might argue that this method is too complicated, fussy or even tedious. I do agree but until I try other methods and compare the results, this will be my preferred proven method. However, I do want to try coddling, it sounds feasible though I'm guessing the whites will be softer and slightly more difficult to peel. The method is as follows:

Coddling method
1. Put enough water to cover the egg(s). Bring the water to a boil and remove from heat.

2. Place ROOM TEMPERATURE egg(s) into the hot water, cover and start your timer for 5 to 7 minutes, depending on the size of the egg(s).

3. Place in ICE COLD or running water. Peel and you're done.

If coddling works just as fine, I will definitely use it instead. If anyone decides to gives this a try, do share the results with me! =)










All blog posts and photos are properties of WhatToBakeToday (unless otherwise stated). Unauthorized use and/or duplication of these contents, whole or part thereof, without express or written permission from this blog's author is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to WhatToBakeToday with appropriate and specific direction to the original content. 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Eating to Live. Living to Eat!