Chocolate Amarula Ice Cream


When I bought Gordon Ramsay's "Cooking for Friends" and found the Fig Ice Cream recipe, I was escalated. But the excitement soon diminished and I spat on the book as I read:
"Scrape the mixture into an ice cream machine and chum until almost firm."

That is one piece of equipment I do not own and would pretty much like to. Who can resist the idea of making ice cream in your kitchen as and when you like, adjust the flavour, sweetness and everything else?! But before I lay my hands on an ice cream machine, I was thinking that there must be some other ways to produce this cold, creamy, comforting confectionery which has been around since the Roman times, ancient China or even Persian empire (Google is my best friend, followed by Wikipedia. LOL)! While I grumbled about the "misfortune", I lost myself amongst other yummy recipes and totally forgot about it.

It wasn't until last week, when my "(Modern) Teochew Yam Paste - the one on the left" successfully passed off as an ice cream! That was when I started to look at the feasibility of making ice cream at home without an ice cream machine. Thankfully it is possible, relatively simple and there's a few tricks to keeping it luscious and creamy. Apparently, instead of directly increasing the amount of cream in the recipe (which is kinder to your heart and waist), you can increase the amount of sugar (which some locals will say "cut leg ah?") and that'll prevent the formation of large ice crystal. There're many websites which will explain the technical parts on how the sugar prevents ice formation, yada yada so I don't have to elaborate. But the sad thing is, we don't like our desserts tooth achingly sweet either. I guessed we will just have to make do with partially iced ice cream. =(

The other trick is to incorporate alcohol into the ice cream recipe which will decreases the freezing point or something like that. I don't even remember where I read that from, moreover know if that will work. But hey, it's alcohol, I can do with that! Heehee...

After comparing a few ice cream recipes, they seem to be pretty much similar and I can't tell which is better. In such scenarios, it is best to trust Alton Brown. (YAY!!) I made a few adjustments to his recipe as follows:

Chocolate with Amarula Ice Cream
  45g     Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
    4g     Granulated Coffee Powder
725g     Whole Milk (better known as Full Cream in local sense), 240g separated
300g     Heavy Cream
    8       Large Egg Yolks
250g     Sugar
    8g     Vanilla Extract

I chose Amarula since I have a bottle sitting around but the most popular cream liqueur in the world is Bailey's so go ahead with Bailey's. I think I added about 60? 80? grams, can't be sure 'cause I didn't measure. But a little more alcohol wouldn't hurt. Heeheee... hick!

1. Whisk Cocoa Powder, Coffee Powder and 240g of Whole Milk over medium heat till combine. Then add the remaining milk together with the Heavy Cream. Stir frequently till the mixture comes to a simmer and heat off.

2. Using the whisk attachment, whisk yolks till colour lightens and slowly whisk in the sugar till fully incorporated.

3. Temper the cream mixture into the egg mixture (slowly add the cream and whisk the egg at the same time, taking care not to cook the eggs) till about 1/3 of the cream mixture has been added. Pour in remaining and return the entire mixture to the saucepan and place over low heat.

4. Continue to cook, stirring frequently, until the mixture thickens slightly and coats the back of a spoon. Transfer the mixture into a stainless steel container and let cool for approximately 30 minutes.Strain the mixture for potential lumps, stir in the vanilla extract and the cream liqueur (and the real nightmare begins for those without an ice cream machine).

For machine owners
If you have an ice cream machine, cover and store for 4 to 8 hours or until the temperature reaches about 4°C or 40°F. Pour into an ice cream maker and process according to the manufacturer's directions. This should take approximately 25 to 35 minutes. Serve as is for soft serve or freeze for another 3 to 4 hours to allow the ice cream to harden.

Non-machine owners
5. Store the mixture in the freezer compartment. For every 30 minutes, stir the mixture vigorously to break up all the ice crystals formed and return to freeze. Repeat this process for 4 - 8 times (I said it was simple to make ice cream, didn't say it'll be fast =P). I suggest repeating as much as you can, I only did it for 4 times and ice crystals still managed to form when I finally stored it. I used a whisk as the torture tool for the first 2 times and a spatula for the next 2, perhaps it was my choice of tools. Anyway, when you feel that it's about done, you have had enough vigorously stirring, transfer the mixture to a storage container and firm it up for at least 8 hours (best if overnight!).

6. To serve, leave at room temperature for about 5 minutes before scooping. Add bits of fruits and nuts as desired. 

Mine resulted in a rather creamy texture with occasional crunch from the ice crystals, wasn't too sweet for our liking and has a rich chocolately taste. It resembles a lot like Ben and Jerry's Dublin Mudslide which happens to be my favourite, the only missing things are coffee fudge thingy. I'll have to work on reducing the ice crystals for the next batch of ice cream.












All blog posts and photos are properties of WhatToBakeToday (unless otherwise stated). Unauthorized use and/or duplication of these contents, whole or part thereof, without express or written permission from this blog's author is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to WhatToBakeToday with appropriate and specific direction to the original content. 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Eating to Live. Living to Eat!