Stuffed Milo Lava French Toast

We didn't have much when we were young. Dad held a menial job while Mum stayed home full time to care for the 3 of us till I was deemed old enough to look after my siblings. 

I was just about 11 years old when mum decided to rejoin the work force to help support the family. I have yet learn how to cook, so Mum would leave us with a big loaf of bread, some snacks or some loose change to buy food (there was still $1.50 chicken rice in those days). Mostly the bread since it is the most cost effective option. But kids be kids, of course we got sick of those mass produced bread very quickly. Nutella or peanut butter might have made it easier but those were considered luxury to us.
The bread would sit on the table till it had passed its prime. By then Mum had no choice but to turn the stale bread into french toast. It was nothing fancy, just a crude version using only eggs and sugar, but my sisters and I would snap them up in no time at all. It may appear trivial but for a young adolescent girl, every little thing is something when we had nothing. 

That's why when I first came across Food from the Heart, I feel so much for the wonderful work they are doing. Especially their School Goodie Bag programme where they provide monthly food supplies to needy families with school children. They believe that no child should go to school hungry as it might hinder their learning abilities. Each goodie bag contains a number of necessities like rice, oil, canned food and even fresh eggs! As part of the programme, FFTH have engaged a group of volunteers, including myself, to create delicious food showcasing items from the goodie bag. Straight away, I knew I will create a French Toast recipe.
Stuffed Milo Lava French Toast (serves 2 or 1 very hungry kid)

  30g     Milo powder
  15g     Sugar (optional)
a bit of Water

100g     Milk
  10g     Milo powder
  15g     Sugar (optional)
     1     Egg
pinch of Salt

4 slices of Bread, white or wholemeal, any kind you prefer
Banana, sliced

 50g     Cornflakes, crushed
1. Mix water, a bit at a time, to the 30g of Milo powder and stir till it becomes thick and syrupy. 

2. Dissolve the 10g Milo powder into Milk, then combine mixture with egg and salt.
3. Place banana slices onto a piece of bread, leaving some space around the edges. Drizzle 1-2 tablespoonful of Milo sauce onto the banana slices then cover with another piece of bread. Pinch together the edges of the 2 pieces of bread.

4. Carefully dip the bread into the Milo egg mixture. Make sure both sides get a good soak then transfer it to the crushed cornflakes and coat as thoroughly as possible.

5. In a frying pan, use either oil or butter to pan fry both sides of the french toast till golden brown. Serve immediately with more banana slices and the remaining Milo sauce (if any).

If you like this recipe and would like to share it, please link to this blog post with its original contents. All recipes are created by me (unless otherwise stated) and require a lot of effort and time to craft. Crediting back is the biggest form of encouragement for me! Thank you! =)

Thought: During conceptualisation, I know there are a few important things to note. Apart from using items from the goodie bag, the rest of the ingredients must not be too costly. For this purpose, only bread and banana has to be purchased separately but even so, they can be obtained cheaply. I assume that salt is available but it can be omitted regardless. However, I would suggest adding some sugar. Personally I have a low tolerance for sugar, so I'm satisfied with having the natural sweetness from the banana and Milo, which is already sweet. But hubs didn't find them sweet at all and I consider him a "normal" person, so it will be best to add in some sugar to sweeten up the french toast.
Next, this recipe must be relatively easy to put together. I remembered how my parents were dead beat from work everyday, so I imagine it's the same for these families. 

On top of all that, I also want the french toast to have a "wow" factor. Kids do compare what they have (or don't have) among each other. For awhile, my young self felt inferior to peers because of all the things I don't have. I think it is worse now for kids trapped in the same situation, growing up in this kaleidoscopic world, filled with all the Insta-worthy food that cost 3 to 6 times a plate of chicken rice would.
Though my stuffed Milo Lava french toast is nothing fancy, neither is it very eye catching, I hope it will bring happiness to the kids in some of the families, just like my Mum's french toasts brought to me. I would be stoked if Mum had made me this back then! 

This goodie bag initiative will most certainly help these families and lessen their burden in this society of ever rising costs. Help support them and their children, make a donation now.

Then make the french toast, take a pic and make it Insta-worthy. 😆 And share with us your yummy creation and thoughts on facebook or tag @whattobaketoday on instagram!










All blog posts and photos are properties of WhatToBakeToday (unless otherwise stated). Unauthorized use and/or duplication of these contents, whole or part thereof, without express or written permission from this blog's author is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to WhatToBakeToday with appropriate and specific direction to the original content. 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Eating to Live. Living to Eat!