Salted Gula Melaka, Coconut Cream and Banana Magic Icebox Cake

Time is something I don't have enough of since the arrival of my little bun. In the past whenever I feel like having cake, I can take my own sweet time in gathering the ingredients and spend a full day to make one. Now, I'll be happy if I have time to enjoy a slice!

That is why when creating this recipe, I planned in such a way that most of the steps can be done separately. It is not necessarily a quick cake recipe, but at least when I need to walk away to feed or soothe my baby, I can do so without having to worry that the meringue will deflate, the butter will melt or the cake will burn. If like me, you also don't have the time to bake, this recipe is for you.

Salted Gula Melaka, Coconut Cream and Banana Magic Icebox Cake
(makes 8" square)

Salted Gula Melaka Syrup
200g     Gula Melaka, shaved
   3       Pandan leaves, knotted together
2 tbsp   Water
good pinch of Salt
1. In a sauce pot, over low heat, combine all ingredients and let the gula melaka melt completely. Let cool slightly, strain and transfer to a small bowl.

Salted Gula Melaka Coconut Cream
270g     Coconut cream
200g     Heavy cream
150g     Salted Gula Melaka syrup
   10     Pandan leaves, knotted together

  60g     Corn flour
  30g     Water

300g     Heavy Cream
2. In a sauce pot, combine coconut cream, heavy cream, salted gula melaka and knotted pandan leaves. Bring the mixture to a gentle simmer.

3. Mix the corn flour with water and remove the pandan leaves. Gradually add the corn flour slurry into the coconut cream while stirring constantly. The mixture will thicken up and resembles the consistency of condensed milk. Transfer to a bowl and cover with cling wrap, letting it touch the surface of the cream to prevent a skin from forming. Let cool slightly before chilling in the fridge completely.

4. Whisk the heavy cream till stiff peaks, and briefly whisk the chilled coconut cream to loosen it up. It should have set as a soft custard. Gently fold the whipped cream into the coconut cream.

Assembly
1 packet Marie biscuits
Bananas, sliced

5. Line an 8" tin with cling wrap, leaving an overhang of about 10cm on each side. Start the first layer with salted gula melaka coconut cream, then place as many Marie biscuits as you can on top. Smear another layer of coconut cream then add in the banana slices before covering them with more coconut cream.
6. Repeat process till you have no more cream left. Ideally you should end with the Marie biscuits layer with just enough cream to cover it. Cling wrap the top with the overhang and chill in freezer for at least 6 hours or preferably overnight.

Optional
300g Heavy cream

Banana
Salted gula melaka syrup

7. Whisk the heavy cream till stiff peaks. Overturn the frozen cake onto a cake board or serving plate. Remove cling wrap and decorate with whipped cream, banana and salted gula melaka and let thaw before serving.

If you like this recipe and would like to share it, please link to this blog post with its original contents. All recipes are created by me (unless otherwise stated) and require a lot of effort and time to craft. Crediting back is the biggest form of encouragement for me! Thank you! =)

Thoughts: Unlike conventional cake making, this "cake" doesn't require any baking nor any skills or techniques. And the cake is simply Marie biscuits, softened by the moisture from the salted gula melaka coconut cream. It practically made itself while chilling overnight! To the current me, that's the beauty of this recipe! *waves hands in the air* Magic! Tadahhhh~

I'm lame like that and will totally do it in real life too. 😅 Forgive me.

Icebox cake is not a new concept. In fact you already know one -- Tiramisu! I just wanted to make something simple and thought why not make one with the flavours we are familiar with?! Gula melaka, coconut and pandan are like the holy trinity of our South-east Asia dessert world. They complement each other perfectly, so I wouldn't change anything except for a big pinch of salt! 
That salt really makes a difference! It balances out the sweetness from the gula melaka, so the icebox cake is still sweet enough, rich and creamy without being cloying. But the banana and Marie biscuits play an important supporting role too! Without them, the dessert will be one dimensional and boooring~ Many times, I found myself digging for them through the coconut cream! Maybe next time I'll slice the bananas smaller so I can fit in more layers of Marie biscuits. And of course, make more of that delicious salted gula melaka I can't seem to get enough of.

I like how luscious this icebox cake is and yet didn't require too much of my time or effort. Even my mother couldn't tell it is non-baked and was impressed that I got it done while caring for little bun. I love having my cake and eating it too. 😜

If you're a busy lady who loves making or eating desserts, do try out this "magic" recipe! Then share with us your yummy creations and thoughts on facebook or tag @whattobaketoday on instagram!












All blog posts and photos are properties of WhatToBakeToday (unless otherwise stated). Unauthorized use and/or duplication of these contents, whole or part thereof, without express or written permission from this blog's author is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to WhatToBakeToday with appropriate and specific direction to the original content. 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Eating to Live. Living to Eat!