How to remove Bell Peppers' skin

As Asians, I don't think we ever remove bell pepper's skin in any of our dishes (do we?). I first saw it when watching some show on Asian Food Channel and decided to try for myself. The method used may seem dubious to some, as it had with me initially, but it is safe and is practice by many restaurants world wide. Although you can grilled the peppers over charcoal flames, but unless you've already got a fire going on for a BBQ or something, I don't think I want to go through the trouble of building a fire for this sole purpose. Hahaha.. Other than that, it is fairly simple but slightly time consuming to remove their skin.
1. Place peppers directly over naked flame. The correct way to do this is to hold the peppers over the flame, just so it is hovering above the burners. I'm lazy and usually just place them on the burners (don't learn from me >.< Hahaha). You may either poke a fork through the stem and use a thong to hold the peppers.There will be some crackling, bubbling and sizzling as the skin burns (literally!!), don't be alarmed. Rotate as the area blackened and charred the whole pepper accordingly.
2. After the whole pepper is charred, you may either:
  • place the pepper in a plastic bag, steam from the pepper will loosen its skin, making it easier to peel after it becomes cool enough to handle. Rub the skin off and rinse with water.
  • place the pepper in a pot of ice cold water and rub off the blackened skin
3. Further process the skinned peppers as desired.

Personally, I find that these smooth, skinless peppers do somehow enhance the flavours of whatever dish I'm preparing. It could be the lack of its leathery skin or the subtle roasted flavour that came with the charring, whichever the case I will continue to take this extra step whenever peppers are needed in a dish. Try it and let me know if the removal of pepper's skin works for you. =)

Perhaps this is what's keeping my Chilli irresistible to friends and families... Another original recipe which I pride myself on. That, maybe we'll save it for another post (after I record all my guess-timated portions). =D










All blog posts and photos are properties of WhatToBakeToday (unless otherwise stated). Unauthorized use and/or duplication of these contents, whole or part thereof, without express or written permission from this blog's author is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to WhatToBakeToday with appropriate and specific direction to the original content. 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Eating to Live. Living to Eat!