One-Pan Roast Chicken and Vegetables

On days when I'm feeling under the weather or simply don't feel like cooking, I'll think of an easy way out for dinner. We rarely get takeouts so that'll usually end up with us having porridge for the night.

But today, after spending the whole afternoon shopping, I wasn't left with much time to prepare dinner. Of course initially I wanted to cook porridge, only to realised I still have plenty of ingredients in the fridge. *ugh* Me and my bad planning. 

So I stood in front of my fridge and stared hard at the ingredients. Then I remembered watching some food network show, roasting a whole chicken and potatoes all in the same pan. Meh, I'll do that since I'm only using chicken leg (aka chicken maryland in oz), it'll cook fast enough before the sun sets. Most importantly, preparation is easy and there wouldn't be too much dishes to wash! 
One-Pan Roast Chicken and Vegetables (serves 2)

    2      Chicken Leg, bone-in
500g     Royal Blue Potatoes, cut into 1" chunks
150g     Carrot, cut into 1" chunks
   15     stalks of Asparagus, trimmed
    2      sprigs of Fresh Rosemary 
1 tbsp   Olive oil
salt and black pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 200°C
1. Pat dry the chicken legs and season with salt and pepper. 

2. Line a rimmed baking sheet/pan with parchment paper. Place potatoes and carrots in the pan. Drizzle over olive oil, sprinkle salt and black pepper, and toss to coat the veggies with your hands.

3. Push the veggies to the sides and place the rosemary in the middle and the chicken legs on top of them, skin side up. 

4. Cover the whole pan loosely with aluminium foil and bake for 30mins.

5. Remove the foil. Place the asparagus among the veggies and try to coat them with some of the juices. Return pan to the oven for another 15-20mins until the chicken has browned and cooked through.

6. Remove from oven. Rest for 10mins and serve directly in the pan!

If you like this recipe and would like to share it, please link to this blog post with its original contents. All recipes are created by me (unless otherwise stated) and require a lot of effort and time to craft. Crediting back is the biggest form of encouragement for me! Thank you! =) 

ThoughtsWho doesn't love an easy dinner with everything cooked in one pan? Dinner is served in an hour, including preparation and cleaning. Ya, cleaning means washing the knife and chopping board only! Happy!

The cooking time can be shorten by cutting the chicken leg into drumstick and thigh. To be honest, I was feeling lazy so I couldn't be bothered to cut them; I can do other chores while the dish is cooking anyway. Plus my carnivorous innerself thought they'll look nicer as a whole piece in the photo. Regardless, just make sure the chicken is cooked through by poking the thickest part of the meat with a skewer or knife and the juices should run clear.

I used royal blue potatoes, carrots and asparagus in the dish simply because those were what I had in my fridge. Feel free to replace or add in any other veggies that you like. Sweet potatoes, bell peppers, parsnips, zucchini and even broccoli are a few delicious suggestions to try! Then share your creations or your favourite veggies to be roasted on facebook or tag @whattobaketoday on instagram! 










All blog posts and photos are properties of WhatToBakeToday (unless otherwise stated). Unauthorized use and/or duplication of these contents, whole or part thereof, without express or written permission from this blog's author is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to WhatToBakeToday with appropriate and specific direction to the original content. 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Eating to Live. Living to Eat!