Cherry Garden Restaurant (樱桃园)

In view of Father's Day, I posted on Wah Lok Cantonese Restaurant 2 days before the occasion, in hope that it might help anyone who's thinking of bringing their family there. For our own celebration, since we had visited Wah Lok just the week before, the family decided to bring our dim sum brunch to Cherry Garden Restaurant. Prior to this, I have heard nothing nor even know of its existence, so I was pretty excited. Yay! ヽ(^^)ノ

Cherry Garden Restaurant
5th Floor,
5 Raffles Avenue, Mandarin Oriental Hotel
Singapore 039797
Call for reservations: 6885 3538

If you're not new to my blog, it wouldn't be surprising to know that I'm a direction idiot. Haha.. I am especially afraid of travelling alone on public transports; I have a tendency to lose myself even in Singapore. I have waited at Sim Lim Tower when I was told to go Sim Lim Square. And I have also waited at Sim Lim Square when told to meet at Funan IT Mall. The Marina Square area is one such place where it is all too confusing (too many hotels in the vicinity - Pan Pacific, Marina Mandarin, Mandarin Oriental, Ritz-Carlton); I will almost always end up at the wrong hotel if without the company of friends or family. Since I was with family, I tagged along happily. 

We reached Marina Mandarin shortly before 11am, only to realized we're at the wrong place. To further confuse us, they have Peach Blossoms (鸿桃轩) there. Haha.. Peach? Cherry? Marina Mandarin? Mandarin Oriental? Geez... (^_^;) In order not to be as blur as us, it is Mandarin Oriental, the one nearer to the cinema in Marina Square, the one opposite Marina Bay Floating Stadium.

I vaguely remembered Free Valet was offered instead of the usual complimentary car park coupons. It is our first visit, who would dare to go valet? If you're going to dine there and complimentary valet wasn't offered, please don't come back and spat on my blog. I can't recall for sure, so don't take my word for it. >.<

We opted for the $48++ Dim Sum buffet which includes unlimited pre-selected dim sum, an order of appetizer, soup, main and dessert for each person. There's the Champagne Dim Sum option for those who want a little pampering on the weekends; it'll include unlimited everything on their pre-selected menu and free-flow champagne. It will also damage your pockets for $118++. 

The pre-selected dim sum variety is quite limited (didn't count how many is offered but I safely assume not more than 20) but since it is our first visit, we weren't sure what to try exactly so we kinda "ti-kam" and ordered a few apart from Char Siew Buns which is our staple when it comes to dim sum.
 

While loving Wah Lok's Char Siew buns, I did mention that if any improvements were to be made, I would like the fillings a tad saltier. Cherry Garden's Kurobuta (黒豚) Char Siew buns achieved what I described, perhaps substituting with Kurobuta is really all that matters. However, despite having superb fillings, the skin was too moist and slightly clumpy, it falls apart very easily. Although this is my favorite dim sum from Cherry Garden, but on a comparison note, Wah Lok's char siew buns still stand out. 
We had an array of other steamed dim sums - Xiao Long Bao (小笼包), Pork & Chives Dumplings (韭菜饺) and (apparently) Shark's Fin Dumplings with Dried Scallops and Prawns. They were good but nothing extraordinary, like their counterparts from Wah Lok's, no "wow" factor. In fact, I didn't know it was a Shark's Fin Dumpling up until now. 
The Mini Abalone Siew Mai seemed like the most promising item on the menu as I glanced through. It is really quite ingenious and adorable to embed mini abalone into traditional siew mai. The mini gems were tender and not chewy as how they can be at times. However, there isn't any abalone's distinct flavour and tasted like a normal siew mai. If you put me on a blind test, I don't think I can tell the difference.
Chicken Feet (凤爪) and Steamed Pork Ribs (豆鼓蒸排骨) are my personal dim sum essentials. The well seasoned ribs were soft and tender and the chicken feet were stewed perfectly. However, I do find the cloves overpowering on the chicken feet and it's too salty. This 2 items will go hand-in-hand with the next dish.
Some people might skip the carbohydrates section to "make the most worth" out of the buffet. However, the simpler the dish, the easier it is to screw up. To see if the chefs are skillful, go ahead and order a bowl of their Century Egg Congee or Kurobuta Char Siew Fried Rice (they have other offerings for this section). Albeit smooth, my congee tasted like glue and was poorly seasoned. Shouldn't a good bowl of HK congee be one that is thick, smooth but doesn't coats the back of your throat or the root of your mouth? However unfortunate, if you have already ordered congee, dipping the chicken feet and pork ribs into this rice paste will salvage it a little and make it palatable. 

The fried rice is better and is properly seasoned (but it took about 45 mins? to be served). You can see the rice "grain-by-grain" (粒粒分明) which usually requires a good "wok heat" (锅气 or "wok hei" in Cantonese) and an experienced enough chef. The flavour, however, is a little flat.
I'm sorry if this is your favorite restaurant and I haven't made much favorable comments on its dim sums. I know I shouldn't say this if I don't want to incite anyone's hatred. But to be honest, I never thought anyone could screw up on soups, Chinese soups especially. (x_x) With enough ingredients and a tactful mind, anyone can create a bowl of flavourful soup. Not that I am an expert but an 11 years old me could make palatable soup daily, according to Mummy's instruction. I had the Double Boiled Shark's Cartilage soup (don't think this is the exact name). I was so looking forward to it as I have had incredibly, awesome, gelatinous shark's bone broth at Summer Pavilion, Ritz-Carlton. Sadly, this fishy soup tasted of only light soya sauce. I took a spoonful and wasted the whole bowl. Same goes for their HK style Wanton Soup, tasted like salt and scallions hastily thrown into hot water (you know how some lazy chicken rice vendors does it? That's the taste). The wantons were delicious though, substantial fillings with a thin skin, so all is not lost. 
Before anyone skins me alive, I have to say I am surprised by the dramatic presentation of their desserts - on a bowl of "dry ice" (or liquid nitrogen if you will). The Cream of Avocado with Walnut Ice Cream took me by surprise and left me yearning for more. Strangely, it tasted like Cream of Durian instead but I couldn't care less because it is soooo comforting. This is one dish I wished I had more of. *sighs and reminisce the taste* 
Another dessert - Watermelon Chutney with Aloe Vera, Crystal Pears and Refreshing Lemongrass Jelly (that's quite a mouthful =x) gave me an "foodgasm" that went away as sudden as it came. As the server carried the desserts into our private room, I yelped in excitement. "OMG! They did spherification with watermelon puree!!!" while rubbing my hands gleefully, imaging the texture of caviar popping in my mouth yet releasing sweet and refreshing watermelon juice. I popped a mouthful and my adrenaline rush went away. They were Tadpole Jellies......... (-.-)Zzz

Conclusion: High class Chinese restaurant with a modern look inspired by traditional Chinese features and decorations. The servers are attentive enough (initially keep forgetting to refill our teas though, maybe 'cause we were in the private room), tactful (to provide a set of baby utensils for my nephew), knows their dishes well and very very proficient in both English and Mandarin. It is the ideal place for a business lunch or dinner, it would also be the best place to introduce dim sums to any expat friends though you'll have to let them know they are not exactly the most traditional renditions.

On a personal note, this place misses more than it hits. For $48++, would I patronize again? Probably not (but yes if I'm not the one paying =P). But I might come back just for its Kurobuta Char Siew and Cream of Avocado. Comparatively, I can stuff myself to death with mainly good dim sums at Wah Lok's for approximately $25 ala carte. And stuff my face with Bo Lo buns and Egg Tarts which are missing from the offering here. If you are an avid fan of Cherry Garden and know which dishes I should have try and which will change my perception, do let me know and I will pay them another visit.

Although the dim sum was mediocre, I didn't complain since I didn't foot the bill (else I would have asked for the chef. I'd imagine myself doing it when the soup were served). My brother and sister-in-law treated us since it was a double celebration - Father's Day and my MiL's birthday. Heehee.. Thank you!
Totally unrelated but it is also the first time I made a full cake from scratch. Although amateurish, I thought it is pretty good for an untrained self taught baker. It was a self-created recipe - Soy Milk Cake with Lychee creme which both the birthday girl and I enjoyed a lot.
DISCLAIMER: The blog and me are not affiliated to any constituencies of any sort. This post is set up to share thoughts/conclusions/reviews on various topics, such as food, products and restaurants. I have, by no means, any intention of flaming, defaming, accusing and insulting any individual/establishment. No benefits in any form, monetary or otherwise, was exchanged for the post. The writing is not influenced by any parties, and is based solely on my personal thoughts, preference, observations and biasity, if you will. Take it with a pinch of salt.

All blog posts and photos are properties of WhatToBakeToday (unless otherwise stated). Unauthorized use and/or duplication of these contents, whole or part thereof, without express or written permission from this blog's author is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to WhatToBakeToday with appropriate and specific direction to the original content. 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Eating to Live. Living to Eat!